Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mushroom Fry -Not Your Typical Easter

     Where oh where do I begin? My family is traditional and anything other than unoriginal. Who else fries mushrooms and fish for Easter? Well, it was time to reap the benefits of the mushroom hunt and the fish we caught between now and last year. We had more than enough food to go around for the 25 people that blessed us with their presence. 
     It all began with battering and frying the mushroom and fish. To my surprise we even had a few frog legs mixed in the batch! My personal take on these tasty little bites is, I don't normally eat fried food but these are worth it. A crunchy, salty, sometimes a maple aftertaste lingers with fried morels. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm.

Fried Shrooms!
Fried Fish!
Fried Frog Legs!

     There was so much food to go around, I'm ashamed to say that I didn't get enough pictures because I was helping fry the fish. While the food was getting prepared most of the boys shot clay pigeons. I will say that I'm not a bad shot myself. Growing up on a farm, a girl learns how to shoot. Below are some of my brothers, my nephews, my boyfriend, and his brother. In between eating the yumminess we fried up, this was a good couple hours of entertainment.

Who doesn't like shooting guns on Easter?


     
     After all was fed and bellies were full, we hid the eggs for the kiddos to find. Wow, was it fun to watch! It certainly brings me back to my childhood, although, I didn't do a lot of Easter egg hunts. Growing up on a farm was something similar to an Amish environment for my siblings and I. We were very old fashioned and my older brother and sisters were an outlet to a lot of things that we didn't experience very often. If I recall my oldest brother was there for the first time my siblings and I participated in an Easter egg hunt (so thank you brother!).

Anxiously Awaiting

     My dear grandmother watched as the kids went nuts on the lawn looking for the hidden, candy filled eggs. My grandma had a twin sister (Auntie Helen) that passed away about nine years ago. She and Auntie Helen were dubbed "Little Grandma" because they are only 4'9. You can see the Polish genetics, but only if you could hear her North Dakota accent.

Little Grandma

     After the kids were done with the hunt they sat down to divide the pastel, oval shaped, plastics. They counted candy and coins that tumbled out as they popped open the shells. While the kids were satisfying their sweet tooth, the older kids (my siblings) played some good'ol softball. They played hard until the sun went down. This time I actually sat out to help my mom clean up the massive mess left behind from the food earlier in the day. I managed to snap a few pics before it got too dark outside.

A Perfect Evening

    The mushroom fry wasn't always tradition, but I really love the fact that my family is original and we make an event out of it from beginning to end. Family truly is where love, life, and food can be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment